Be a part of a national cohort of AHEC Scholars
STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD!
With a program designed and funded by the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
With online curriculum designed by the Colorado AHEC program of the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Upon completion you will hold an AHEC Scholars Certification that will permanently help your healthcare resume stand out from the crowd.
The AHEC Scholars Program is a two-year commitment. AHEC Scholars will participate in a minimum of 40 hours per year of team-based training (that may be a part of their current required curriculum) and 40 hours per year of instruction (in addition to current required curriculum) focused on the six HRSA AHEC Core Topic Areas. The SLV AHEC will provide a one-year follow up after graduation or program completion.
AHEC Scholars, presented by the SLV AHEC, provides health professions students with a unique learning experience. AHEC Scholars will be nationally known as possessing a desirable set of competencies.
Learning opportunities will include:
Behavioral Health Integration
Social Determinants of Health
Colorado’s response to the Opioid Epidemic
Oral Health: Access to care and primary care integration
Mental Health: Access to care
Health Effects of Oil & Gas Extraction
Note that this website is currently for the AHEC Scholar program in the Colorado's San Luis Valley. If you are interested in joining an AHEC Scholars program in another part of the country, please contact your regional Area Health Education Center (AHEC). A list of national AHECs can be found here.
Available only to specific local programs at Adams State University and Trinidad State Junior College
In order to become an AHEC Scholar, you must be a student in one of the following college and university programs:
AT ADAMS STATE UNIVERSITY
• Nursing (BSN)
• Exercise Science Master's
• Clinical Mental Health Counseling Master's
AT TRINIDAD STATE JUNIOR COLLEGE, ALAMOSA CAMPUS
• Nursing (Associate Degree in Nursing; BSN in Nursing through dual enrollment; Practical Nurse to Associate Nurse AAS; Nursing Certificate; or Practical Nurse exit option)
• Addiction Counseling (AAS with CAC-I & CAC-II options)
• Medical Assistant (Medical Assistant Professional AAS; Medical Assistant Professional Certificate)
• Certified Nursing Assistant (Nurse Aid Certificate and Nurse Aid Certificate in Long Term Care)
• Paramedic (Emergency Medical Services Associates of General Sciences)
• Dental Assistant